Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Costa Rica - Rainforest Days 6 - 10, Days 11 & 12, & Final Thoughts


Written by Dawn Dallmus

Day 6 - Travel & Hike

I am exhausted! The trip from San Jose to Quebrada Arroyo was long and tedious. I finished my second book and started on the third. I think I think I will finish that book before we get home to Pittsburgh and that is not good because I will have nothing else to do when we get on the planes. Once we got to as far as the vans would take us, it was hiking the rest of the way. At least we didn't have to carry our bags because the leaders of the camp brought five horses to carry our stuff. As the last of the horses were being loaded, we started the long, uphill hike to where we were staying. At first, I was with the group in front, but then when we came to the hills, I started to lose my breath and fell away to the back of the group. I also didn't have my water bottle because I had not filled it up. We were told we could fill them where the horses were but there was nothing to fill them up with. I felt like I was going to cry walking up the hills because my body wasn't fully used to hiking up steep hills, especially for an hour. There were so many beautiful waterfalls and flowers and views along the trail as well. I wish I had my camera or a camera to capture these beautiful shots. After an hour of pain and breathlessness, I finally reached the camp that we were going to be staying at for the next couple days. Everything is just so beautiful here and I wish I could share it with my family and my boyfriend. Speaking of, I miss them a lot! At times, I wish I could see them and hear their voices.

Day 7 - Service Work & Waterfall

Today we started doing service work and the work was backbreaking...literally! We had to put dirt on the road and flatten it out for people and cars. We had to do this for four hours and the majority of the work was in the sun. That made working harder because the sun soaked up all our energy and we had to take many water breaks. I was so happy when Alfredo said we could go back to the camp and change, I was sweating like crazy. Someone even passed out because of heat exhaustion. When we got back we had lunch and Alfredo said we could go into the waterfall just below us. The waterfall was gorgeous and it looked like it was something out of a movie. We were able to get right under the waterfall as well! It was like a dream to be able to swim near and in a waterfall. I felt so happy when I saw it and I was ecstatic to be able to swim in it. After the waterfall, the leader of Quebrada Arroyo, Miguel, took some of us to see some squirrel monkeys. They were so cute and small. I wish I had my camera so I could have taken pictures of the monkeys and the waterfalls because they were such beautiful sites. Being in the rainforest makes me so happy because of all the cool and beautiful things within it.

Day 8 – Service Work, Soccer, & Waterfall

 Today has been even more exhausting than yesterday. We had to hike half an hour just to get to where we were working. Then, I had to carry many bags of heavy sand and dirt up and down hills in order to make cement for a rock wall. I had to stop every once in a while because I was getting winded a lot. I cannot wait to be done with the manual labor tomorrow so the next day we can have fun and shop. I hate doing manual labor because it is so exhausting and back breaking. When we finished working, we had lunch and then changed to go play soccer with some of the Costa Ricans in Quebrada Arroyo. I watched as nine of my peers and one teacher played and slipped around on the muddy field. Not long after, a group of us stayed to play more soccer and the rest of us went to swim in a new waterfall pool. This pool was much deeper and I was able to dive in and do cannonballs. I had a lot more fun at this waterfall than at the other one because of the depth of the water. After that, we had a chance to change and dry off before dinner. Before dinner we had our meeting where we were asked two questions: “What was the funniest thing on our trip so far?” and “What was your victory?”. The answer to the first question was when we were in La Carpio and all the kids imitated Josh falling and ripping his pants when playing soccer. The answer to the second question was losing weight because of the rice and beans diet. Something that was really scary so far has been the size of the spiders and the cockroaches. We saw two giant cockroaches as big as a dollar bill (width and length) and the spider was as big as my hand. Yeah, my arachnophobia is kicking in big time. ¡No me gusta araña's!

Day 9 – Service Work, Tree-planting, & Waterfall

 I was so glad that today was the last day of working because I am tired. Today I mixed cement by hand and it was so difficult. After that, a group of us followed Miguel to collect baby trees that we were to plant. When he collected about 40 tree saplings, we walked just past the camp and crossed a stream so we could plant them. After we planted all of them we came back for lunch and then we got ready for the waterfall. We went to the waterfall from the first day we worked and I wasn't too happy. I wasn't happy because I preferred the other waterfall pool because it was deeper. We only had a little bit of time there because it was getting ready to storm. Once we got back from the waterfall, we saw a lot of different animals. I got to see an iguana, a toucan, more beautiful butterflies, and lots more of the squirrel monkeys. All of these made me so happy because we hadn't seen too much wildlife since we have been in the rainforest. I was so happy to see the squirrel monkeys again because I hadn't been able to get a picture since I didn't have a camera the first time I saw them. Today they were so close and way more photo-genic because they were coming so close to us. I used the call that I learned from Miguel to bring them somewhat closer and that excited me a lot. I also learned that they are an endemic species and that means you can only find them in one country in the entire world.

Day 10 – Hike & Zip-line

Today we had to hike two and a half hours to where a pair of vans would take us to a place where we would zip-line through the canopy of the rainforest that was an hour away. I was not looking forward to this hike. We had to walk the half an hour to where we were doing the service work for the past two days and then two more hours of walking up and down hills. I was glad that I was wearing my bathing suit because it helped to absorb most of the sweat. The van ride was boring and then we got to the zip-line place. We got hooked up in our zip-line gear and learned the basics of zip-lining. When we were ready, we got hooked up and ready to zip-line through the rainforest canopy of Costa Rica. What an amazing site and experience this was! The rainforest was gorgeous and the view was even better. About 5 or 6 zip-lines in (we were signed up to do a total of 10 zip-lines) it started to rain. At first it wasn't too bad and then it hit harder. About the 7 or 8 zip-line is where it started a torrential downpour. If anyone brought cameras and had them in their pockets while zip-lining, they were destroyed. We were literally soaked from head-to-toe. I certainly was glad that I was wearing my bathing suit. When we got back to where we were hooked up, we were served lunch and were able to dry off a bit more. Did I forget to mention that our bags were on top of the vans without any sort of cover over them? Yeah, all our bags and the contents within them were soaked and that sucked! When the rain let up a little bit, we made a run for the vans. When we were all in the vans, we started to head back down the way we came and we hit our very first obstacle. The storm was so bad that it took down a tree and the tree landed in the middle of the road. One of the guides that took us on the zip-line took an ATV and went to get help. He came back with a guy and a machete. The guy started attacking the tree with the machete and eventually got it cut and moved out of the way. Then we came to the next obstacle, the waterfall overtaking the road. There were 4 or 5 of these obstacles but we made it through them all. Then we headed to Manuel Antonio National Park where we would stay overnight. When we got there, that was when we found out that all our stuff was soaked. I was so upset because that meant I had to wear wet jeans the next day along with my wet bathing suit. I just knew I was gonna be miserable the next day.

Day 11 – Beach & Travel back to San José

Today was fun with everything that happened at the beach. When we first got to the beach, there was a raccoon that was sniffing around in everyone's stuff trying to find food. The funny thing was that when he did find food, he would actually go inside your bag and grab whatever it was and drag it into the rainforest. He wasn't able to get away with anything because people would throw sand at him or make some loud sound to make him move away. Then the white-faced capuchin monkeys showed up to entertain us all and allow us to take a lot of really neat, up-close pictures. They were literally only 1-2 feet away from the public which I thought was really cool. Most animals try to avoid the public at all costs. When we got back to the hotel, we packed up our things and got into two vans and traveled to the town of Quepos where we had lunch before starting our 3 hour trip to San José. I was so uncomfortable the entire trip because I was wearing my wet bathing suit that still had sand and salt water on it, wet jeans that irritated the inside of my thighs and the A/C was on so I was cold because I was in all those wet clothes. When we got back to San José, we were allowed to shop for 45 minutes in a little market area just across from the National Museum of Costa Rica. I bought a few things for my boyfriend and something for me. Then we headed to Las Orquiedas where we had dry clothes from the bags that we had left at the hotel when we went into the rainforest. Then we had dinner and had to fill out a little survey about our experience on this trip. We also received t-shirts from the company that hosted the trip for us and got a picture with Alfredo. Then we packed up because we had to be at the airport by 6 AM.

Day 12 – Travel Home & Final Thoughts

I could not wait to get back home! Even though I had fun in Costa Rica, being able to see my mother and stepfather and little siblings was an awesome site. I missed them all so much and I hated not being able to see or hear them for the past 12 days. When we landed in Pittsburgh International Airport at 8:10 PM, I called my mom and said that we had landed and were safe. She told me that she was waiting for me at baggage claim and that she would see me shortly. That got me really excited! When we got to baggage claim, I saw her all the way at the baggage claim where our bags would be and I ran. I ran like crazy right into my mother's arms and cried. Then I went and got my bag and we headed home to where I had a nice warm bed waiting for me and a lot of dry clothes and technology.

This trip has taught me a lot more about poverty and how not everyone in the world has everything that they may want. They may have very little and any sort of help means the world to them. There are other people where they have just enough to get by and have the basics if not a few extra things. The people in La Carpio and Quebrada Arroyo were so thankful and gracious for all the hard work that we did to help them make their community a better and safer place. I was really glad to be able to go on this trip and I encourage anyone and everyone to give this trip a chance. There are things that you may be scared of such as bugs, spiders, or heights, but this trip is worth it no matter what you are scared of.

No comments:

Post a Comment