Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's Like I'm in a Movie.

Written By: Neal Niedecker

 The vans pulled up to the clearing. It was just a shaky foot bridge separating our group from the horses that would haul our bags to Quebrada Arroyo. It had been a long bumpy ride in from San Jose and my legs were stiff, I was tired and unsure of what to expect. Crossing that bridge I was filled with doubt, yet I was determined not to let any of it get the best of me. The rain forest is one of those places that just seems otherworldly. I read about it in school and I've see people advocating against its destruction, but I never expected to actually be standing there at the edge of it. I had been in Costa Rica for almost a week but this bright blue footbridge was where I left the U.S. behind. There was no internet here, no news, no Facebook or blogs. Isolation from the internet and technology for the first time in my life. 

The hike in was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. The vibrant colors of the distant yet magnificent landscapes. Standing on top of a hill, my mind racing, basking in the sight of this beautiful forest and river. One of my teachers, Ms. Peck, came up beside me and said "It's like something you see in a movie!" To which I responded "That's exactly what I was just thinking, it's like I'm in a movie." 

This mutual feeling of being in a movie, shared between my teacher and I. I assume the feeling would've just been forgotten by most. Yet to me it had deeper implications. That maybe I spend a little too much time in front of screen. Be it a computer or television. To the point where seeing something incredible reminds me of  a movie. It made me realize that there is a world worth seeing out there, and no matter how incredible what you see on TV may be. It can't compare to the real deal.

Anyway back to the hike. At the start of the hike I was towards the front of the group, however I kept stopping to take pictures of the incredible things I was seeing. So eventually I fell towards the back of the pack. There were several side paths along the way and I started to think I may have gone the wrong way. However the locals who ran a store near where we stayed (a store in the rain forest? Who would have known?) assured me I was headed the right way. 

It started to pour just as I got under the shelter of the cafeteria of the tourist area of Quebrada Arroyo. I'm glad as it could have ruined my camera. Which made me realize my camera's battery was just about dead and I had forgotten my charger in San Jose. A lost opportunity as I may never get to see those sights again, still I'm grateful for the pictures I did take.




No comments:

Post a Comment