Friday, June 29, 2012

Lar Carpio Part 2: Revenge of the Sun

Written By: Neal Niedecker

So we went back to La Carpio today. What an incredible expeierence it was. See first they showed us the progress they had made in the village. Roads that were dirt and mud a few short years ago are now paved. Parts of La Carpio have sewage and electricity. It is cleaner and safer than it was before. So we went back to building the road. Mixing the cement and pouring it. We not only built a road, but also we helped build a  path for a sick child to use his wheel chair on. After we worked on the road for a couple hours I was so tired I feel asleep in the church. When I woke up the people of La Carpio had a celebration for us. We had cake and a pinata and exchanged words. It was a really powerful moment. They were so grateful for all our hard work, it made me want to go back to working. Alas we had to leave as later that night we had a concert to go to. We went to a local jazz club where a really great band played. I danced for like 2 hours solid. My classmates were a little lamer though. A couple of them danced with me but most just sat. It was hands down the most fun I've ever had at a concert, also the band was fantastic. I need to find out what their name was.

No comments:

Post a Comment