Monday, June 18, 2012

Participant: Dawn Dallmus


My name is Dawn Dallmus, I am seventeen years old and I am in twelfth grade at City Charter High School. Some things that I like to do include playing video games, reading, sewing, acting, Zumba, hanging out with my friends, horseback riding, and archery. Playing video games is great way to pass the time because they keep you busy for long periods of time. I currently own a Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, and Nintendo 3DS. I play many games such as Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded, Epic Mickey, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Zumba Fitness, and Spyro. I also do a lot of hand-sewing, mainly counted cross stitch. I am currently working on cross stitch that I have been working on for the past 3 years now called “Tinkerbell Spring Blossoms.” The reason I have been working on it for so long is because the suggested frame size for it is 16” x 20” frame and the fabric is really big, so I have to work in sections. Another one of my interests is reading. I love to read fiction novels such as the House of Night series, the Hunger Games series, the Twilight Saga, and the Harry Potter.

All of these are my interests but one of my absolute favorite interest is acting. I got into acting when my grandfather took me to see the Nutcracker every year at the Benedum. That originally got me into dancing and I spent eight years doing jazz, tap, ballet, Pointe, gymnastics, and competition. Then, when I got into middle school, I joined the drama club at Brentwood but we never did anything. We were going to but we never came out with anything. When I got to high school though, I joined the drama club and found out that they don’t do musicals or Shakespeare, they do drama and comedy one-act plays. I was intrigued and auditioned. I was cast in my very first play that was also my most difficult play, “This is a Play.” It was a twenty minute play and kind of confusing. It was a play set within a play and what was the most difficult about it was that there were a ton of monologues and we also had to act out what we were saying within the play but there were sections where we were the actual actors in the actual play as well. There was only one way to tell which was which: when the lights were on and when the lights were off. When the lights were off we were acting out everything that we did and when the lights were on, we were in the play. I performed in three plays after that as a back doctor with back problems (“Man on the Floor”), a crazy girl that talked to sock puppets (“Tongue Tied”), and a sixty year old woman at a wedding (“Bridal Dance”). These were all fun parts to play and I hope to continue to act in college.

I have gone to City Charter High School since my ninth grade year back in 2008. Before ninth grade, I had never heard of City High nor even thought about going there. When I was in eighth grade, I came home from school at Sto-Rox Middle School and I told my mother that I was bored in school. All the work that Sto-Rox gave me was easy and I was not being challenged. She started worrying about where I was going to go to high school. My choices were Sto-Rox High School, a catholic school, or somehow getting me into Montour High School. I was not going to go to a catholic school because I was not religious, there was no way she was going to be able to send me to Montour, and she did not want to send me to Sto-Rox because she knew I would be bored. She went to Propel schools and asked what they did with their children once they got out of eighth grade and had to go to high school. They said they either sent the children back to their home school, CAPA, or City Charter High School. There was no way I was going back to Sto-Rox and CAPA was out of the question, which left City Charter High School. When she first told me about it I was a little hesitant because of the all-year-round deal but then I decided to go there because it would be better than Sto-Rox. City High has presented me with so many new challenges and I have not been bored a day in my life while at City High. I have gone to every dance and trip that the school has presented to me as well. There are three types of dances at City High. There are the fall dances, Snowball, and Prom. The fall dances and Snowball are for all grades and Prom is only for juniors and seniors. The fall dances are normally themed and held during the fall season. Snowball is slightly more casual than the fall dances and everyone has to dress up in cocktail dresses or something less extravagant than what you would wear to prom and plain suits, no tuxedos. Prom is where the juniors and seniors get to go all out with what they wear. The trips City High takes us on are just as much fun as the dances. Each grade takes two trips, one in the fall and one in the spring. In ninth grade, we get to go to Camp Kon-O-Kwee in the fall and Splash Lagoon in the spring. In tenth grade, we get to go to Laurel Caverns in the fall and Washington D.C. in the spring. In eleventh grade, we get to go to Ohiopyle in the fall and New York City in the spring. In twelfth grade, we get to go to Teen Quest in the fall and some seniors and juniors get to go Costa Rica for about two weeks for service learning and some fun. I went on all of the trips and I had so much fun at each of these places and I cannot wait to go to Costa Rica.

I am going to Costa Rica because I have never been outside of the country and this is a great opportunity for me to go and see a new country. I only have a few concerns about this trip and those would include the spiders, being home sick, and being pulled away from technology. These may not seem like big concerns but to me they are. I am concerned about spiders because I have a severe arachnophobia. I can watch little spiders from a distance but I heard the spiders in Costa Rica are like the size of my face so that is why I am a concerned. I think I will feel home sick because I have never been so far away from my mom, let alone out of the country. I am also really attached to technology and I think that it will be difficult to be pulled away from that technology for those two weeks. Other than those things, I do have some things that I hope to gain from this trip such as learning more about the rainforest and seeing the amazing environment. I love seeing all the exotic plants, animals, and birds that the world has to offer. Insects I am not too crazy about and the spiders can stay away from me but everything else I cannot wait to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment