Monday, June 18, 2012

Participant: Alex Guy


               My name is Alex Guy. I am in 11th grade and I’m 17. I just happen to be a very interesting person. I have a lot of interest and things that I like to do. I don’t currently play any sports. I used to do play sports, but I can’t play a sport and work at the same time. When I was younger I played soccer, basketball for all 3 years of middle school, swam on a swim team my freshmen year, and boxed for my sophomore year.
                I love to play video games. I have an Xbox 360 that I have had for a while. For me, video games are a way to relax because I don’t have to worry about anything but saving the world on my screen. It’s really relaxing.
                I also love music. Not only do I love to listen to music, but I love to play music as well. I play guitar and bass. I have been playing for my church for a long time and I also play at a gig every once in a while. Music is also something that is relaxing to me. I love to play with other people that are actually good at what they play because I like to sound good at what I do.
                My employment history is pretty interesting.  My first job was at a Chinese restaurant. It was a very interesting first job. The management was terrible and the food was not that great. One thing I did like about that job was that the employees there were kind of like a family. We all functioned together as one unit. That is why I liked that job, but the pay was terrible and so was the management which is mostly why I left. My second job, which is also my current job, is at the After School Program at Allegheny Center Alliance Church. I was hired at the beginning of the school year to work there. Basically, I work at an after school program as a 4th grade teacher. I’m not technically a teacher, that’s just my title. What I do is I play with the kids for a little while, give them some sort of snack, help them with their homework, and then we do something fun at the end of the day. It is an interesting job but I have had a lot of ups and downs, there are days which are not so fun. But it kept me on my feet because I never knew what was coming next. I am still working there for another two weeks, until June 1 I believe. Then I will start my new job.
                My new job, which I currently have part time, is at a small restaurant in the North Side called Bistro-To-Go. It is a nice restaurant where I will be doing all sorts of tasks from preparing food to washing dishes to cleaning bathrooms. I got the job because I won’t be able to work at the After School Program in the summer because there is no school. I still need to make money though so that is why I got a new job. That’s all about my employment history thus far.
                The main reason I am going on this trip is because I want to learn about Costa Rica. I want to learn about a different culture, about volcanoes, and how lives are lived in Costa Rica. I just want to find out more besides of what’s in the United States. I don’t prefer to be ethnocentric and only know about the places I’ve been in the U.S. That is the main reason for going, but overall, I want to have a good time.
                My biggest concern about this trip is that I think that two weeks is a long time. I think I can handle it but it just seems like a long time to be out of your comfort zone. Another concern I have is that I won’t like all of the food served to us. I am interested to see what kind of food there will be but I don’t want to be hungry.
                The most important thing I hope to gain from this trip is knowledge. I want knowledge of what goes on in a completely different world that I’m not used to. I want to come back and be able to tell people how Tico’s live their lives in Costa Rica and I want to tell them all about the geography that we will see. I also would like to come back with a nice tan and some souvenirs but those are a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment