Monday, June 11, 2012

Participant: Dray Cottingham

City Charter High School is home to many students in and around the Pittsburgh area. Located in Downtown Pittsburgh, we are one of many charter schools in the area. My name is Dray Cottingham and I am a junior at CCHS. At the age of seventeen, I would never have imagined having the opportunity that has presented itself to me this year. With a class of sixteen other students, I will be going on the excursion of my life, to Costa Rica. The home of the historic city of San Jose, coffee farms, beautiful beaches, and the Palmares Fiesta!


I am going on this trip to Latin America because I believe it is an incredible opportunity to be exposed to another culture. Being in an environment with different kinds of food, music, clothing, and people should be an remarkable experience.  Many teens my age rarely get exposed to things or cultures beyond their own neighborhoods. A lot of people I know don’t even get to say they’ve been out of the city of Pittsburgh. I think the entire trip will make most of us more humble being that Tico’s don’t have the things we do in America. Their resources aren’t as abundant and their cities aren’t as developed; but this change in pace and the Tico culture is something huge to look forward to. 


My biggest concern on this trip has to deal with the insects. Bugs have been a phobia of mine since I can remember. Recently, I locked myself in my bathroom because a stink bug was on a rampage in my living room. (Scary Right!?) Insects make me itch! Although I am bothered by them, I hope to be able to get over this fear while in Costa Rica. My parents always tell me that I can’t go through life being afraid of something that’s smaller than me. It’s just something about gross eyes, exoskeletons, and more than two legs that creep me out! I believe that being in an area with such wildlife will be tough and make me nervous and itch but it’s the perfect way to get me to overcome my fear via exposure therapy (as stated by Mr. Z).

I hope while there I will come in contact with things that interest me. I have been involved in theater since I was six years old and it had always been a part of my life. I got my first professional job in the third grade acting with a small theater company called Gemini Theatre. Last year I created my own theater company called My Brothers’ Keeper Theatre Company. In the company,  I write, direct, produce, and cast all of my original productions and donate fifty percent of the commission made to a fund or charity. Maybe while in Costa Rica, I will meet someone that is involved in theatre or we will get to see a Costa Rican play.

All in all, there are a lot of things I hope to gain from this trip. I wish to gain courage to overcome my fears, knowledge on the Costa Rican culture and heritage, humbleness, and last but not least a great experience that will give me memories to last forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment