Monday, June 18, 2012

Participant: Mike Vaughn

Hola! My name is Mike Vaughn. I'm in 11th grade and I'm 17 years old. I'm very interested in sports and I plan on going to college and pursuing a career within the Sports field. I play sports practically every day, if it's working out or playing on a team and everything in between.

Aside from that I have really been focusing on school. I go to school at City Charter High School. This is a charter school located in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh. We have a different schedule than everybody else in Pittsburgh. We go to school year-round, for three straight months, and then have a month break. So our summer vacation is half as long as everybody else's. At first I didn't like this schedule because I wanted to have summer off with my friends, but now that I have been here for the past three years, I couldn't see myself going to a regular school. I look forward to the breaks, and I couldn't handle having to go nine straight months like regular schools.

Over the course of this semester we will be studying about the way of life, society, and the government of Costa Rica. This will get us prepared and ready for our experience in Costa Rica. Learning about another society is one thing in a classroom, but every day we are in here is one day closer to going. Every day we are always talking about it and we are all getting so excited to just get out of school, and experience this trip.

During my stay in Costa Rica I hope to gain a lot of knowledge about the culture and the way of life of the Costa Ricans. I expect their way of life to be totally different than mine. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the country. I also am kind of excited to be the minority because I'm so used to living in the United States, so I'm not sure how it feels to be a minority to a foreign place. I'm interested in seeing how the citizens of Costa Rica will accept us in their society. My biggest concern about this trip is communication. I really am hoping that I can get a hang of the Spanish, so I'm able to communicate with as many people as I can.  I'm really looking forward to hiking through the rainforest as well. How many 17 year olds can say they've done that? I have always wanted to travel to another country, and this was the first opportunity to do that. I didn't want to let this opportunity pass me up. Along with that I just want to be able to tell people that aren't as fortunate to travel somewhere like this what it is like. This will be such a life changing experience and I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment