Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Experience Thus Far

Written by Joshua Brown


The first day was a very long day. We were on the plane for a long time, and the second plane ride I was stuck between some random guy from Costa Rica, and some lady who only wanted to talk about how she was going to Costa Rica to build some wall. Between the two both going to sleep, arguing on occasion, and the man speaking little to no English, my flight was rather long.

Upon arrival we were treated with a very traditional dinner of rice, beef, and beans. We also got to experience a strange guava juice, which tasted like a weakened version of pineapple juice. What really upset us the most, however, was that we had to be up the next morning at 6:30 am. My room has 6 people in it, which includes both Mikes, Neal, Nick, and Dray. We were up rather late cracking jokes, and Mike Vaughn was cracking the bed and making pieces of the board on the bunk bed fall on Mike Pittek's head.

This morning we were greeted to the sound of Alex's voice, as he accidentally woke us all up at 5:30, instead of 6:30. This made my room rather upset with him, and we are sure we will get him back. Today was a pretty cool day though nonetheless. We got a chance to walk around San Jose with our tour guide, Alfredo. Not the sauce, I promise. In addition, we met with Epsy Campbell, a member of the Citizen's Action Party for an interview this morning before we left for the day. She talked about the hardships of being a black woman in Costa Rica, and how it has effected her political career.

The worst parts of the day were that we couldn't meet with the high school, and that it has been raining for the past hour or so like there is no tomorrow. Instead of visiting the high school we went to the museum of natural history, which was an awesome place, I just was geeked to play some soccer with the locals. As for the rain, well you can tell me how it would feel to be in a scorching hot room with 5 other guys trying to locate flashlights while we rotate turns in the shower. There was no power until just as we ate dinner, and now we are stuck inside doing whatever we can think of to keep us entertained. The dinner was delicious as well, and I must admit I love plantains.

That is all for tonight. I am sure that I have left out some stuff, but surely someone else will post about those things. With our wakeup time being 5:30 tomorrow, I am getting off for the night. Goodbye to all, and I hope you all enjoy the blog!

-Joshua Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment